Central (Alexander) SquareTo book a tour
Alexander Square (Central Square) - square, located in the center of Minsk. Adjacent to the theater named Yanka Kupala. It is located near the metro stations ”Kupalovskaya” and ”Oktjabr”skaya”. Surrounded by Independence Avenue, as well as the streets of Karl Marx, Engels and Krasnoarmeyskaya. Issued on October Square, the Residence of the President of the Republic of Belarus and the Central House of Officers. In the center of the square is one of the most famous fountains in Minsk - «A boy with a swan».
Square was built in 1836 year on the site of New Market on the initiative of mayor Leopold Delpatsa. The name of the park was named in honor of Alexander Nevsky. Fountain ”A boy with a swan” was built in 1874 year, timed to coincide with the launch of a clean water supply of artesian water. In 1890 year in the southern part of the park opened the theater (now - the National Academic Theatre named in honor of Yanka Kupala).
In 1979 year a memorial monument to the sign-on the execution of members of the underground. In 1942 year the Gestapo near the fountain hung the Secretary of the Minsk underground city committee of the PBC Isaiah Kazintsa.
There is the most ancient toilet in the city, it was built more than 100 years ago. Survived since before the Revolution. Looks real work of architecture. Historians say that the toilet - a replica of the destroyed houses have long Count Czapski, without paying for the project architect Stenkevichu his palace. The architect built a toilet in retaliation - a copy of the palace - for the edification of those who are offended by creative people. According to another version, a copy of WC-Czapski put the house on his land neighbors, not made friends with the Count.reveal all text