Church of Varvarinskaya in SuhodolTo book a tour
The ancient St. Barbara Church is located in Suhodol village, Brest region. It was built between 1863 and 1869, however, different sources disagree. According to one source, this church was built as a new, according to others - rebuilt from an old temple.
The "Grodno Orthodox Church calendar. Orthodoxy in Brest and Grodno land at the end of the XIX century", published in 1899, the church is described as a stone with a stone bell tower and a was named as a St. Joseph hymnographers church. According to this source, it was built in 1869 "in memory of the miraculous deliverance of the Emperor Alexander II on the death of 4 April 1866" through the efforts of peasant of Sukhodol Julian John Dubyaga with the participation of the villagers and some other persons.
In later documents, the temple is referred as the church in honor of Our Lady of Kazan. Subsequently, it was consecrated in honor of St. Barbara. In the Soviet period, in times of persecution, the church was closed. In 1992 the church was returned to the Ecclesia and consecrated by Dean Archpriest of Kamenetz District Evgeny Lukashevich.
The St. Barbara Church is included in the list of Belarusian historical and cultural values.reveal all text