Dominican monastery in Grodno: Educational BuildingTo book a tour
In the direction of the capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Vilnia from the Market Square led street Vilna (modern. Sovetskaya). it has more respectable acquired in the XVII century, but then changed its name - Dominican -in view of the fact that in the middle of the century, Frederick and Christina Sapieha means the church was built here and the monastery of the Order of Preachers - Dominicans. They launched like the jesuits an extensive cultural and economic activities in the city center. The church was built in the early Baroque style. The church was demolished from ten years after the uprising of 1863-1864. on the orders of the Russian authorities. Dominican church was one of the most beautiful in Grodno according to J.U. Nemtsevich.
The monastery acted Dominican school (Studium Generale) from the XVII century which had the right to confer academic degrees. The school was gave an excellent education with the Jesuit College. Gymnasium building survived (Sovetskaya str., 6, 8). Dominican High School was closed in 1833 because of the students participate in the uprising of 1830-1831. Grodno provincial men's gymnasium was launched at its base (from 1834). The monastery was abolished in 1840.reveal all text
Individual and corporate excursions - Dominican monastery in Grodno: Educational Building
- Dates on request
- Duration: 4 day