St. Nikolay`s church in SvirTo book a tour
St. Nikolay”s сhurch - a monument of architecture of style of neobaroque. Initial construction concerns to 1653, in the beginning of the XX-th century the church has been completely reconstructed.
In 1452 prince Jan Svirsky has constructed the first wooden church. In 1570, under influence Reformation churches in the Western Europe, the majority of Catholics of a place of Svir, nobility and princes Svirsky have accepted a Calvinism. The church has been closed and ruined and only in 1598 is returned Catholic church. In 1653, with active assistance of the priest G.Yassinsky, building of a stone church which in 1671 has been consecrated has begun.
The temple represents small temple which came to the end with a semicylindrical apse, and the main facade of a temple left on the central street of a place. In 1909 the temple is reconstructed and expanded. To a lateral facade it is attached Basil, to opposite – a four-wall apse, to the main facade – Many-tier tower.
In an interior of a temple six columns (on three in each number) divide space into three naves. Interior walls are decorated by pilasters, eaves, fresco. On lateral walls 14 compositions (1990, plaster) in which the evangelical plot «Krestovyj Jesus way» reveals. In external architectural shape of a temple eclectic forms, characteristic to start the XX-th century are displayed.
In 1961 after death of last dean of Svir priest Kazimir Shilejki the church has been closed. In 1980 it is converted in factory, in 1990 temple have returned to parishioners.reveal all text