Excursions across Belarus - Belarusian excursion portal

Check request

Photo - Zasvir

The population: 96 people Status: Village The year of foundation: 1967 Minsk region, Myadel district

Location - Zasvir

Zasvir is located in the northwestern corner of the Minsk region near the northeastern shore of Lake Svir, 4 km east of the village of Svir. The Lyntupy-Zanaroch highway passes through the village.

reveal all text

History of the development - Zasvir

In 1697, a Carmelite monastery was founded in Zasvir with funds from the Oshmyany Marshal Krishtof Zenovich. Initially, the monastery complex was wooden, but in 1714 Krishtof and Yadviga Zenovichi built a stone Trinity Church and monastic buildings. The monastery in Zasvir was one of the largest male Carmelite monasteries in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, the number of brethren reached 20 monks.
In 1795, as a result of the third partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Zasvir became part of the Russian Empire, where it became the official town of Sventsiansky district of the Vilna province.
After the suppression of the 1830 uprising, the Carmelite monastery, along with many other Catholic monasteries on the territory of modern Belarus, was closed by the royal authorities, and the temple of St. Trinity has become an ordinary parish Catholic Church.
In 1861 Zasvir is a government town, 14 yards and 96 inhabitants. After the suppression of the 1863 uprising, the church was closed, the building was handed over to the Orthodox Church.
In 1865 there were 53 auditorial souls, a church and a school in the town.
In 1868 - a place in the Svirsky parish Sventsyansk district, 8 yards, 96 inhabitants.
Since 1893, there was a 2-class parochial school (in the 1896/1897 school year, 38 boys were enrolled in it).
In 1897 - 21 yards, 199 inhabitants. At the end of the XIX century, a public school and a parochial school operated in the village.
In December 1905, during the First Russian Revolution, soldiers (half of the company) were sent to Zasvir to suppress revolutionary unrest.
In 1907, the town had 140 inhabitants. During World War I, a German hospital was located in the monastery building. Dead German soldiers were buried near the monastery.
In 1919, the church was returned to the Catholics.
As a result of the Riga Peace Treaty of 1921, Zasvir appeared in the composition of Middle Lithuania.
In February 1921, a Belarusian school operated in Zasvir (36 students), which was subsequently closed by the Polish authorities. The first priest who served in Zasvir after the return of the church to the Catholic Church was the poet and public figure In-Law Casimir.
Since 1924, as part of the Vilno voivodeship of interwar Poland.
On September 7, 1939, units of the Red Army crossed the Soviet-Polish border.
Since 12.10.1940 in the Shemetovsky village council of the Svirsky district of the Vileyka region.
In September 1943, 2 inhabitants were killed in the village and 23 houses were destroyed by the Nazis (before the war, 286 inhabitants lived in the village of Zasvir and there were 63 houses).
From 1944.20.09 in the Molodechno region. After the war, a school and a dormitory housed in the former monastery buildings, and the temple was closed. Gradually, the entire complex was abandoned and gradually collapsed.
In 1950, villagers created the Red Banner collective farm.
In 1960, the village was part of the Svir state farm (the center of the town of Svir), 105 inhabitants.
Since January 20, 1960 - as part of the Minsk region, since May 20, 1960 - as part of the Svirsky village council.
12.11.1966 Oleshki, Vnuki, Sabinovo farms were attached to the village.
In 1990, the authorities returned the building to the church of the Catholic Church, after which it was restored. From the former buildings of the monastery, only fragments of the ruins are preserved.

reveal all text

Tourism potential - Zasvir

The memory of the rich history of the Zasvir saved Zasvir Church and Carmelite Monastery - baroque monument of the early XVIIIth century. Built in 1713 of brick as a temple of the Order of the Carmelites at the expense of Krishtof and Yadviga Zenovich. In 1865-1920, the church was rebuilt as a church, in the early 1990s. returned to the Catholics.

reveal all text
Where to go in the Zasvir? All about restaurants, entertainment and other services

Individual and corporate excursions - Zasvir

Location map - Zasvir

GPS Google: 54.84217′ N, 26.461283′ E