ChervenShow excursion in Cherven
Photo - Cherven
Location - Cherven
Chervyen is a small provincial town in the east of Minsk region, the center of Chervyen district. This is a city with a curious history, which gave Belarus many outstanding people known far beyond the borders of the country.
Chervyen is located about 65 km from Minsk, the capital of Belarus, which can be reached by car in 1 hour. Near the city there is the republican highway M4 Minsk-Mogilev. The nearest train station is located in Puhovichi, 30 km from Chervyen.
Chervyen district is located on the Central Berezina plain, and the Chervenka River (Igumenka) flows in the city.
History of the development - Cherven
Chervyen had to change the name with the advent of Soviet power. Initially, the settlement was called Igumen, the city was first mentioned in chronicles in 1387. At the beginning of the 15th century it belonges to the Kezhgaylovichs, and in the middle of the century, Vitovt presented some volosts to the Vilna episcopate, including the «Gumen volost». During almost 400 years Igumen with the adjacent areas was owned by the Vilna bishop.
The settlement was damaged during the Northern War. From 1793, after the division of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, it became a part of the Russian Empire, two years later it received the status of a city and became the center of Igumen district of Minsk province, and a year later it received its coat of arms - a silvery bouquet of flowers in a blue field and five golden bees above it.
By the end of the XIX century the role of Igumen, as an industrial and commercial center, was significantly reduced due to the construction of Libavo-Romenskaya railway in 30 km. During the uprising of 1863, one of the most active in Minsk region rebel detachment led by B. Svenvarzhetsky and S. Leskovsky acted here.
In 1899, the city was damaged by a powerful fire. Soviet power was established here in November 1917, and on September 18, 1923 Igumen was renamed to Chervyen. On July 17, 1924 Chervyen became a center of the district and became part of Minsk region. Berezinsky, Pukhovichsky, Uzda and Smilovichsky districts were also formed on the territory of the former Igumensky district (later it was liquidated).
During 3 years of World War II, Chervyen was occupied by the German fascist invaders, a partisan movement was active here. The city was liberated on July 2, 1944 by the troops of the 1st and 2nd Byelorussian fronts in the course of Operation Bagration. During the war about 70% of the population was killed.
Tourism potential - Cherven
Chervyen is a small town, but visiting it will be interesting to history lovers, because many of its streets and buildings are associated with the names of important historical and cultural figures.
You can start the acquaintance with the early history of the city in the ethnographic museum, which is located in the former county government building, originally built by doctor Kudin. The museum exposition tells about antiquity, the period of the Great Patriotic War and cultural achievements of the region. Perhaps the most curious exhibit of the museum is the treasurer's stamp of the XVII century of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Near the museum there is a monument to a famous Belarusian composer Stanislav Moniuszko, there is a museum dedicated to him in the village Ozerny 15 km from Cherven. There is a Manor of Monyushko in Smilovichi. The world-famous painter of the Paris school Chaim Soutinestarted his career here.
The unique architectural buildings was saved in Chervyen — the hospital of Catherine II period, as well as the Igumeni house where Maria Mekota - the mother of the Belarusian poet Maxim Bogdanovich, was born.
Sports achievements of Chervyen natives are known all over the world - the first Belarusian Olympic champion in weightlifting Valery Sharay, champion of the Paralympic Games and winner of the World Cup in ski racing Lyudmila Volchek and many others are born here. An outstanding cosmonaut Oleg Novitsky, composer Tesakov also made Chervyen famous.
Chervyen is one of the few cities on the territory of former USSR, where there are several monuments to victims of repression of 30-40s of X century. In general, the city has many military monuments - mass graves on O. Koshevogo street, the grave of fascism victims on Zamitovskaya street, sculpture in honor of the Soviet Union hero, G.P. Barykina, as well as a monument - a cannon on a mound in honor of the liberation from the Nazi invaders.
Among the religious sites you can visit the church of St. Nicholas and the Holy Cross Church.
Infrastructure in Chervyen is presented by typical objects for small towns - small specialized shops, hotel, House of Culture, cinema, Children's Art Center, a modern fitness center with a swimming pool, a sauna, a large stadium was built in the city. 20 km from the city, you can take a rehabilitation course in the health resort «Volma».reveal all text