ChashnikiShow excursion in Chashniki
Photo - Chashniki
Location - Chashniki
Chashniki – administrative center of Chashniki district, Vitebsk region. The city is located at a distance of 95 km from Vitebsk, 190 km from Minsk. It is located on the Ulla River (tributary of the Western Dvina). Republican motorways P62 (Chashniki - Klichev - Bobruisk), P86 (Bogushevsk - Senno - Myadel) and P111 (Beshenkovichi - Chashniki) pass through the city. Orsha-Lepel railway line is 2 km from the city.reveal all text
History of the development - Chashniki
The first mention of Chashnikov dates back to 1504 year. In 1564 during the Livonian War of 1558 - 1583, the battle of Ulla took place near Chashniki, as a result of which the advance of the Moscow army was stopped. In 1567 a wooden castle was built in Chashniki on the bank of Ulla (it existed until the XVIIIth century). Since 1568 Chashniki were in the possession of Anna Radzivillovna. In 1580, King and Grand Duke Stefan Bathory received Ambassador of Ivan the Terrible here. In the middle of the XVIIIth century, a Dominican monastery was founded in Chashniki. Due to its favorable geographical location in the XVIIIth century, the town developed river shipping: a marina, workshops for the construction of merchant ships were built.
As a result of the second partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1792 Chashniki became part of the Russian Empire. In 1812, a battle took place between the French and Russian troops under Chashniki. After the suppression of the liberation uprising of 1830-1831 in 1832 the Russian authorities closed down the Dominican monastery. In 1843 - 1845, the Orthodox Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior was built in the village. In 1886 a paper mill was opened in Chashniki.
On January 1, 1919 Chashniki became part of BSSR, but on January 16 of the same year, the settlement together with other territories of eastern Belarus was transferred to the RSFSR. On July 17, 1924 Chashniki was returned to BSSR, and already in 1925 the Chashniki railway station began to operate. On September 27, 1938 Chashniki received the official status of urban village settlement. During Great Patriotic War from July 5, 1941 to June 27, 1944, Chashniki was under German occupation. On February 7, 1966 the settlement received the official status of a city. On January 20, 2006 the coat of arms of the city was approved.reveal all text
Tourism potential - Chashniki
Несмотря на богатую историю города, в Чашниках сохранилось мало значимых исторических достопримечательностей. Главной достопримечательностей города является Despite the rich history of the city, few significant historical sights have been preserved in Chashniki. The main attractions of the city is church of Holy Transfiguration, which was built in 1845. Until 1832, the Dominican church and the Mariavite monastery stood opposite the present church.
Historical buildings of the XIX-XX centuries have been preserved in Chashniki, which include the house of the merchant Gurevich, a candle shop, shopping arcades, a Jewish cemetery, paper factoriesу «Red Star».In Chashniki Historical Museum are collected archaeological finds, objects of the Great Patriotic War and exhibits related to the history of Chashnikov. reveal all text